Every individual with disabilities has a right to be safe, respected, and to live a life free of violence.
- Up to 85% of women with disabilities are victims of domestic abuse (Colorado Department of Health)
- Powers et. al. (2002) study found women with physical and physical and cognitive disabilities:
- 67% experienced physical abuse in their lifetime
- 53% experienced sexual abuse in their lifetime.
- 2001 Study documented 3.4 times the rate of abuse among children with disabilities (Boystown, Sullivan & Knutson)
If you need help, call the Kansas Crisis Hotline, voice and TTY, 1-888-363-2287 or visit the Kansas Coalition Against Sexual and Domestic Violence at www.kcsdv.org to locate the sexual assault/domestic violence organization closest to you.