We are currently accepting applications for the following position(s):
Independent Living Specialist
- Actively engage in the agencies information and referral process in a timely manner.
- Able to relate to and provide peer counseling to people with all types of disabilities including mental illness, Intellectual, sensory and all types of physical disabilities.
- Must be able to assist/partner with the consumer, other agency staff and PILR staff to ensure services are provided timely and accurately.
- Assist the consumer in gaining access to medical, social, educational and other needed services
- Must be able to teach Independent Living Skills to people with disabilities. These skills might include budgeting, cooking, personal hygiene, or other activities of daily living.
- Ability to advocate for the consumer as well as teach the consumer how to advocate for him/herself.
- Must be able to promote systems change. This means to work for necessary changes in both physical and attitudinal barriers within the community.
- Must have a working knowledge of civil rights legislation and how it pertains to people with disabilities
- Must always be aware that the Independent Living Plan (ILP) and other services are to always be consumer driven.
- Must have access to adequate transportation in order to travel to consumer’s homes and other community events.
- Responsible for consumer service record file documentation including information about access, appropriateness and coordination of supports and services. Documentation must provide the details to meet federal and state requirements regarding progress notes and meeting deadlines.
- Working knowledge of all available community resources and the ability to assess the consumers basic eligibility for these different types of services
- Ability to assist the consumer in determining and locating the type of assistive technologies or home modifications needed to live independently in their community
- Explore all medical services/health care available in the community
- Able to assist the consumer to locate adequate transportation that meets their needs
- Emphasis on Youth Advocacy Efforts and Activities
- Conduct outreach efforts including public speaking
- 2 years of experience using Microsoft – Word, Excel, and Access applications
- 2 years of experience working with people with disabilities
- Must possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Must have excellent organizational skills and ability to meet all deadlines
- Believes in and promotes the Independent Living Philosophy
- Minimum of 2 years of experience interviewing, investigating, compiling information, documenting decisions, interpreting guidelines and/or providing technical assistance relevant to the agency’s programs.
- Post secondary education may be substituted for experience as determined relevant by the agency.
PILR is an EOE; persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Before a final offer of employment, candidate must pass all required background checks.
If you are interested in a position, please send a resume to Chris: email@example.com